Thursday, October 7, 2010

You Never Know...


Wed-Thurs Oct 6-7  South Africa trip

You never know who you might sit next to on a flight... we were getting all settled in beside a nice looking young man on our flight to South Africa.  He was already deep into reading what looked like a manuscript of some sort, so I didn't disturb him.  When the flight attendant came by to ask what we wanted to drink, he looked up at her and then looked at me... I assumed he didn't hear her question, so I asked him what he wanted to drink?  He motioned to me that he was hearing impaired.  Like an idiot, I spoke louder and slower and again asked him what he wanted to drink... I guess I was thinking maybe he could read my lips or that he could partially hear... which turned out to be a good move on my part.  He turned his hearing aid up and replied, "water please, thank you!"  I assume he had turned it down while reading.  I guess if you had a hearing disability that could be a perk to be able to turn off the volume around you.

Later I noticed the manuscript he was reading looked like it had his picture on one page with some African children.  I figured since we had communicated thus far he might tell me... I asked if that was him in the picture.  He smiled and said yes, I'm writing an auto-biography.  He said this was his final proof and then it was ready for print.  I said cool, do you have a title yet?  Which he replied:  "Hearing With My Heart".   Of course, then I had to ask him who he was.  He was Justin Osmond, Merrill Osmond's son; which also makes him Donny and Marie Osmond's nephew.  Not that he acted any different than anyone else who might be sitting there, but again... you never know who might be sitting next to you on a plane.

After visiting a short while he got his laptop out and told me, "you are the very first to see this!"  He said, "seriously!"  He showed me the picture that would go on the cover of his book.  He said he had just gotten the email with the picture.  Of course, I'm sure he meant I was the very first person for him to show it to.  He was so cute.
This is a picture of the flap laid out flat.  He definitely looks like an Osmond!
Justin later asked me what brought us to South Africa.  After explaining it was a vacation opportunity, I in turn asked him the same.  He told me he came with 3 other people and they had previously fitted 800 children with hearing aids in Botswana, Tanzania and one other place, and they are delivering the hearing aids to the children on this trip. What a rewarding job!!!  See "Justin's Official Web Site".  Also this is the site for Starkey Hearing Foundation that he is associated with.   He absolutely was a delightful young man to meet and visit with.  He said he would send me one of his books when printed.

At one point during our visit, I asked him why he was not flying "first-class".  He commented he does sometimes on U.S. flights, but not usually on international flights.  The long international flights would be the very time I would want first-class seats if I could afford the opportunity.  I just found that interesting.  I also asked if he was married.  He told me no and asked if I knew anyone!   He said he would love to find the right person, but said with his job and travel it has been difficult to have a relationship.  Someday he will find the right person.


*********************
I'm adding these notes a few months later and want to tell you that I did receive an autographed copy of his book "Hearing With My Heart".  Have not read it yet, but will.

Also, after returning from our trip and with a new friendship with Justin on Facebook,  it was interesting to read on his Facebook post that he had completed a week of volunteering for the Extreme Makeover Home Edition (EMHE) television show and when it would be airing... I did watch it and did see his nano second of fame on the show.  Again, just one more thing we had in common.  Volunteering for the EMHE show for a Tulsa family was a great experience that my daughter, Ashley, and I shared together in February 2010.

I obviously don't write to Justin on FB everyday, in fact I've only written twice and both were private messages... once, right after our trip just to tell him how much I enjoyed visiting with him and sharing photos on our laptops of our family and things in our life... he had commented on the trip how much we had in common.  Second time was to comment about him volunteering on the EMHE show.  Both times he did reply and he really seems to be such a nice, down-to-earth, young man.

I find it funny that I was friend number 200 something with Justin on Facebook when we communicated; that small number of friends is probably why I got a reply  Now he has almost 5000... I wouldn't even try to post something to him now.  I think 5000 is the limit for number of friends on a regular Facebook account.  He has now created a "Fan Page"!

So remember on your next flight -- you might be sitting next to someone famous and you too might receive an autographed auto-biography!

Arrival Johannesburg...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...