Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cango Cave

Monday, Oct 18  South Africa

Lazy morning, slept-in until 9 a.m., had hot tea and toast on the deck over-looking the ocean... Life is Good!  Eventually hopped in the car, after descending those 63 steps, and headed to Cango Cave
The cave is approximately 600m deep and we probably only went half way.  It has several huge caverns and has tons of formations.  Was very interesting to see.


It is unlike us that we did not take the long "crawl and squeeze through stuff" tour, but we got  a late start and Dennis wanted to be in Mossel Bay by 6 pm for a Rotary meeting.  So we took the short tour, grabbed an ice cream bar at the gift store for lunch... (in fact I couldn't decide which kind, so I just grabbed two) and then we headed to Mossel Bay.

We took a different route back for new scenery and went through this little town called "Oudtshoorn".  It was so nice and clean with everything in bloom.  Roses must have been their theme.  They were in bloom throughout all the medians and landscaping.

We saw several ostrich farms, as well as sheep and goats being raised in this area.  They actually had two adult ostriches... I guess babysitting all these babies, so cute.


These two were in another pasture with many others.
Oh, I forgot, DT bought some Ostrich Biltong in the gift shop... which translates to Ostrich Jerky.  It was really good!


We passed a group of children who had just gotten out of school just be-bopping along the road.

As we headed towards Robinson Pass in the mountains, you could see this wall of clouds hanging in the tops of the mountains... was just a very cool sight.

The closer we got to the top, I thought "we're going to be in those clouds!"

We traveled through the pass without any problems, but if I would have thought to stick my arm out the window I could say "I have touched the clouds"... amazing how high up we were!

This was certainly a scenic route.  We stopped to take a picture of a view out over a valley and RIGHT AS we stopped this bird flew and landed on a roadside flower RIGHT BESIDE the car to get nectar.  I don't know what he is, he's not in my bird book.

It was amazing as if he came and said, "here, take a picture of me and my long tail feathers!"  It was a bird that we had not seen yet.  This one rates right up there for me with my Leopard Pic.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...