Monday, October 11, 2010

Other Mammals & Birds Around Our Tent

Sunday, Oct 10  South Africa

As we were getting ready to leave for touring, we looked out and saw a warthog meandering in front... so amazing to see these things in the wild and be right here with them!  And then Sunday evening when we came home there were probably 10 more wondering around in front of our tent.  I think the ones hanging out here are more like dogs! ... but, I'm not petting them!
Warthog
The Impalas are also plentiful wondering around the grounds, such pretty little things.
Impalas
The first evening here we saw several birds
Blue Waxbill
Natal Spurfowl aka Francolins
Laughing Doves
Red-billed Hornbill
I also saw some Jameson's Firefinch, which I didn't get a pic of.   

I know we'll see more things as the week goes on.  Oh wait, I saw -- I'll call him the "Tent Lizard" running around outside.

Michelle, my new best friend from the front desk, told us about a path to walk down that we could probably catch some giraffes walking by early morning, but we have only been here four mornings and have not had the chance to go there yet.  She also advised us that the Lions are fenced in Kruger National Park... thank goodness!  As we were leaving lodge today we saw the Giraffes!!

These were right by our Lodge... Amazing!!
There were probably 10 of them...
Jackalberry Ridge is awesome! Even the tents amaze me...you have the typical screened windows and zip doors, but we have beautiful wood floors, tiled bathroom floors and walls, leather sofas... so it's not your typical tent!  Friday & Saturday evenings were nice for sleeping, but it was a little warm when we came in from touring on Sunday... but I'm still glad to be here!

Continued:  Blogging Takes Time

1 comment:

  1. Deb, that photo of the impalas looks like a postcard perfect photo. Amazing place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...