Sunday, October 30, 2011

Update and Ramblings...

For those of you who have followed my blog, you probably remember the stories about my "wren family".  I am happy to report that I am seeing more wrens at my bird feeders; and what is even more interesting is that the wren house now has a new tenant!
If you look closely you can see a Leopard Frog in the dilapidated  nest.
After the baby wrens left, I watered the plant as usual with the garden hose rather than using the water globes, so therefore the nest had basically collapsed.  One day Dennis noticed this leopard frog had taken up residency in the old nest pictured above.
I continued to find tree frogs everywhere... this one was resting on top of the feeder.
I am known to set my sprinkler with a fine mist for my hummingbirds to cool off at their feeder.  One scorching hot day when Dennis came in from work he saw this hummingbird laying on the patio in the breezeway.
If you get past his dirty hands from work,
you can see that he picked up the tiny bird and held him.
He brought him in the house to show me and ended up holding him for several minutes.  I got my camera out and we went back outside.  I took a few pictures and then put some hummingbird nectar under his tiny long beak.   I'm not sure if this little guy was just hot or if he flew into the glass door and was dazed or what; but after a few minutes he did fly away.  I haven't seen any hummingbirds around lately, hopefully they have all headed to warmer weather in the south.  Only the old and weak stay behind.

We have gotten tired of eating Armadillo Soup! ...just kidding, but thanks to Dennis, we now have eight less of these guys digging around in my flowerbeds and yard.

I am thankful the gophers have not taken up residency in my yard!  I see mounds and mounds of dirt in the different neighbors' yards as I drive through our neighborhood...
I'm thinking word must have gotten out among the gophers
that we don't put up with digging in our yard!  They must be scared - Haa!
Dennis has trapped approximately 19 gophers at the Country Club... they have been a nuisance  on the golf course!  I'm sure he has not gotten them all, but there are certainly less of them now!

Late summer Ashley and I found another bicycle trail to ride
We have been busy and have not ridden lately, but hopefully we will get back on the trails some before winter sets in or for sure next spring!

On Labor Day, I thought as a farmer my vegetable garden was through producing when we ate the last of the tomatoes I had picked. But to my surprise, I continued to get a few smaller tomatoes up until the recent frost in mid October.   I had lots of blooms and actually had lots of green tomatoes still on the vines.
You can see the many tomatoes on the vines after the frost.
I had traveled out of state for a few days at he time of the frost.   When I returned I found the vines had been nipped but the tomatoes still looked okay.  We had some really pretty weather this past week, and while the tomatoes continued to grow some, they had not ripened.

Now, a week or so later and expecting the second frost, I decided to gather the remaining tomatoes, thinking I might have some "Fried Green Tomatoes".  Haven't ever fried them before but guess I'll give it a try.  I certainly enjoyed the juicy red vine ripe tomatoes while they lasted!
It was interesting to find one ripe tomato with all the green ones.
My last update and rambling -- Thank goodness the lines have been painted on the resurfaced highway.  Sure makes it easier and safer for my drive to see my brother and my precious grandson, Tully.  I do make that trip often ;-)
Now, if I could just get those bugs cleaned off my windshield!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...