Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hummingbirds cooling off...

This blog is about my birds and the scorching hot temperaturess we have had here in Northeastern Oklahoma.  I am thankful for the much needed rain that we finally received, but the previous run of temps of well over 100 degrees for 51 days during these past couple months seems to almost be a norm now. And, it is not over yet, we are expecting more days this week!  We broke our record set in 1980.

While the high temperatures and drought conditions are hard for us as humans, it is also really tough for the birds.  A couple weeks back, I was watering a shady area that had some shriveled-up Vinca groundcover growing under a group of trees.  The sprinkler ran all night and was running through the morning.  I went out to check on moving it and realized it seemed to have barely dampened the baked ground.  I also noticed numerous birds flying and sitting in the trees as the sprinkler was rotating.  I went and got my binoculars to view more closely what species of birds were enjoying the water and coolness.
This is the wooded area with the Vinca groundcover that I was watering.
You can see the many tree branches and places for the birds to perch.
I scanned the surroundings with my binoculars, some birds didn't even move when the sprinkler would spray the water on the branch they were sitting on; others would flutter from branch to branch.  As I zoomed and observed them more closely, some of them were literally sitting there with their beaks open and panting. I honestly had never observed that mannerism from any bird.  Some would drink from the droplets of water on the leaves and you could see them fluffing and bathing as well.

I sat and watched them for awhile through the binoculars and noticed numerous species of birds enjoying the fresh water -- Blue Jays, Robins, Cardinals (male, female, juveniles), Grackles, Cowbirds, Red-Wing Blackbirds, Starlings, Chickadees, Gold Finch, Nut Hatches, a Mockingbird, Woodpeckers, Sparrows, Wrens, and several Hummingbirds.  I know I have left a few species off the list, but it was unreal to see such a variety of birds in such a small space as they flew in and out.  The space size would be equivalent to half of a circle of a normal rotating sprinkler.  The perimeter of water was only covering part of the shaded woody area.  The birds really did not seem to mind each other nor did they seem to mind that I was sitting close by.  They were so desperate for the water itself and the coolness.  I think it was 109 on that given day.

It was on either ABC World News or maybe Good Morning America that I recently watched where many of the Mississippi Kite baby birds were jumping from their nests before they were ready to fly... because they were literally baking in their nests!  The news person was reporting about the rescue center available for that specific bird because there were so many of them in distress.

They had video tape of birds that were still in their nest but, they were sitting there panting.  This news airing was why I knew what my birds were doing sitting there with their beaks open-- panting!  It was amazing and sad to watch in person in my own gardens.  I didn't even know birds panted.

So needless to say, after seeing the news story and then observing my own birds and their desperation and need for water, I did not turn the sprinkler off that morning, but rather I waited until later that evening.  And yes, I have turned it on a few other days since for them; granted my thirsty vinca enjoys a drink at the same time.

The same day that I was observing all of my feathered friends enjoying the sprinkler,  I hung a hummingbird feeder in the area while the sprinkler was running and immediately the hummingbirds came to it.
This is the first hummingbird that approached the feeder within minutes of me hanging it.
That encouraged me to place a sprayer hose under another hummingbird feeder in my front flowerbed.  I waited for the area to be shaded about mid-day and then wedged the hose under the lid of the planter with it watering the gardens.  I "killed two birds with one stone"-- watered my gardens and cooled my birds!   Immediately the hummingbirds came to enjoy the spray of water.  I caught sight of one of them who just flew and stayed in the middle of the fine spray of water for quite a while.  I tried to take a picture, but I had too much distance and the little bird just did not show up very well through the water and against the plants and shrubbery in the background.  I was afraid to get too close or move knowing he would fly away and I respected that he needed the water.

I managed to inch my way closer and here are a few pictures that I did capture:
You can see the orange sprayer on the hose wedged under the lid of the planter.
I later adjusted it to spray in a more upward direction.
There are two birds sitting at the feeder.
I have to laugh, one of the perches was broken
and it figures that is the very spot that one of them landed.
His little neck would not reach that far to feed!
He ended up scooting over and they fed from the same flower.
Here you can see the spray better and the birds certainly didn't mind!
The spray was just in front of the feeder and the mist of water traveled to the feeder.
I turned the feeder around because this side seemed to be where they wanted to feed.
He then had a perch to land on and not have to continually fly and burn his calories.

I know these are not great pictures of how pretty the hummingbirds really are, but you get the gist of the sprayer and how much they enjoyed the water and coolness.  I was just glad to see them sharing rather than fighting!  These two sat and ate together for quite awhile.

Dennis observed one hummingbird drinking from the spillway of our spa one day.

It was interesting that this little bird drank from the running water while in flight.  Usually I see them drink when the sprinklers are running and they drink from the water droplets on the plants.

As you can tell, I love to observe the birds on our property.  I recently wrote about the beautiful Painted Buntings who visited.  I also catch myself being drawn to watching birds when we travel-- Belize, Costa Rica, and South Africa all have fabulous birds!  I have some great pictures but was not blogging during the Belize or Costa Rica adventures.  My blog began with our travels to South Africa.

You can click on the bird link at the top of this page under our blog picture to read other bird stories or here is a direct link to my recently updated Amazing Birds blog I previously posted while traveling in South Africa:

Over the years, I have grown to be a gardener by hobby and I may now claim to be a birder by hobby.  I hope you enjoy your own feathered friends!

Quick links to other South Africa bird blog stories:
Morning in Knysna
Grey Heron Rules
African Fish Eagle


1 comment:

  1. You crack me up rigging the sprinkler under the hummingbird feeder. You have some spoiled birds!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...