Saturday, July 2, 2011

Its Official -- I'm a Farmer...

I'm thinking if you have tomatoes sitting in your kitchen window ripening, that means you are officially a farmer!
This is two days of pickings June 29 and 30th!
A touch more of ripening and they will be just right!
Now some of you may not get excited about tomatoes, but I love a vine ripe tomato.  I planted four  varieties of them and they are to grow to different sizes and produce at different times.  At the time I bought the starter plants, I could only hope that one of them might survive if I got a variety!  I kept the little tags with each plant, but I have to laugh-- once I pick them, I have no idea which is which!!  I threw them all in the same basket and placed them in the window!  Only the bigger tomatoes in the middle of the window sill are ones that I actually know which vine they came from.

My first tomato harvest (see below) was on June 26 and consisted of four juicy tomatoes... I had not checked the vines in awhile and when I saw them, I thought wow -- they were ready to chill and eat that day! ...which I did eat one and it was delicious!
I also picked a couple more squash and had a handful of Blackberries!
While there is obviously not enough blackberries for a cobbler (which might be Dennis' favorite dessert)... I do still have some berries on the vines ripening!  If I'm lucky, I'll get enough for a tart (haa) before they quit producing.  I'm putting them in the freezer for now... so Dennis don't give up just yet.
This is just one cluster of the berries still on the vine,
I have several other clusters ripening as well.
A friend in the neighborhood told me they do not have any tomatoes or blooms... not sure what I did right, but I'm glad I am having success with them.   Maybe it was that early planting that I had to cover at night to avoid the frost - haa.  Here is a picture of one of my vines... all four varieties are loaded!  Ashley I'll have some tomatoes to give you soon.
...this is just one side of the vine that you can see
These are the only things I planted -- tomatoes, squash, and zucchini.  The blackberries I actually planted a couple years ago and they are just now producing.  Oh wait, I did plant one cucumber plant, but no harvest from it yet.

In closing this blog, I will show you what I had for lunch today...
Just a little salt and pepper, these veggies were certainly fresh and YUMMY!
As I view this picture, I notice the little chip on the plate on the left side and how irregular the blue willow pattern is on the plate itself... but I'm loving it's character!  These dishes were a wedding gift 36 years ago!  Maybe one day I'll buy some new dishes... uh-mm, maybe?

Happy gardening to those of you gardening!

Related blog:
I Might Be A Farmer

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful, my dear!! Your lunch looks great! We have been enjoying our fruits of labor too...squash and okra...tomatoes coming on and jalapeno peppers are good and hot! Good job, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I am the one (Kay) that posted to you! Don't understand the google and stuff I am supposed to click on. Looks like you got it anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...