Saturday, August 27, 2011

What are the chances...

I was recently driving to Tulsa to see my brother, DJ, and my sweet grandson, Tully.  Anyone who makes that same drive on Highway 33 knows they have been repaving the road.  I was just thinking the other day how lucky I have been the last few trips and have caught the one-lane area just right and didn't have to stop and wait for on-coming traffic!  Thank goodness the one-lane part finally seems to be over... now, if they will just get the new asphalt marked for passing/no passing zones as well as the edge of the road.  I miss that edge marking during night-time driving!

While in route, I was in a line of traffic with about 10 cars, me being almost last in line.  I was  approaching one of those hills that has the extra passing lane, of which most cars are oblivious to because they are not marked right now... but, yes, I do know they are there!

All of the cars ahead of me continued to stay in the left lane, so just as I got to the second lane about to  pull into it-- one car pulls into the lane before me!  I'm thinking, "okay buddy, GO, if you're going to pull out there, we have about 8 cars to pass!!

To my disbelief, he started passing everyone!!  Thank goodness, because I was right behind him.  We managed to get around the whole string of cars.  He continued on a nice pace and I didn't feel the need to pass him... and for most of you who actually know me, I am not too good at following anyone!

We both turned onto the Turner Turnpike.  He stopped to pay his toll and I continued through the Pike Pass lane and zipped on.  This guy caught me about the time I was exiting onto Creek Turnpike.  He followed me for awhile and we rolled along at about 80 mph... just barely over the speed limit of 75 mph.

As we got closer to the intersecting Highway 75 he passed me; so I continued to follow him on in to Tulsa.  He exited at Memorial Road, which is exactly where I needed to exit... I thought, "how funny!"

But the kicker is -- we both turned right on Memorial and then immediately left into the "Bill Knight Ford" dealership!

We also both pulled around to the parts department and I'm thinking "no way!!!"  Of course, when I got out of my car I had to say something to him.  I asked him, "what are the chances that I would follow you all the way from Hwy 33 to this dealership?!?  He laughed and asked, "Are you driving that blue Cadillac?"  I told him, "yes!"  He then said, "Well, you are driving too fast!"  We both laughed!

I went in and got the part I was there to pickup for Dennis, and on my way back out to my car, I looked at the young man who was then shuffling stuff from his jeep to another car and I noticed he had a Florida tag... I asked him where on 33 did he come from?  He said that he actually had driven in from Wichita, Kansas!  I just shook my head in disbelief... honestly, what are the chances that we would both pull into the exact same place in Tulsa!!!   There are millions of places we could have each been going!

Funny things happen in life and we just have to enjoy the moments!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...