Friday, July 1, 2011

Empty Nest Syndrome...

Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Ashley and I were sitting in the recliners in the bedroom feeding/rocking Tully and watching tv.  Looking out the patio glass doors, we noticed both the male and female house wrens bringing insects to the nest with multiple feeding trips for the babies.  It is really the first time I have sat and just watched them come and go to the nest.  Maybe it's the first time I have actually sat down during the day since they have nested!  It was fun watching them, the wrens spent a lot of time collecting their insects, perching on the chair, then moving to the nest.  It was as if they were trying to get the babies to come out of the nest.  I took a few pictures from inside looking out the patio door of the adults fluttering about:
Here she had flown to the nest with a bug for feeding
Later I opened the blinds, to have a better view
but then they were skittish to actually go to the nest.
They spent a lot of time on the chair trying to figure out
what had changed, but eventually went to the nest again.
On Wednesday, June 29, 2011
I had two children visiting and over to swim, so of course we had to look at the baby birds!  I took another picture of the babies in the nest and to my surprise I could now see SEVEN LITTLE SETS OF EYES looking at me!  Who knows how many are actually in there?  Where were all these birds in my previous pictures???
I can see 7 birds for sure, but think there are actually 8 in this pic.
I knew a nest with only three birds was small, but that was all I could ever see.  Most wrens lay 7-10 eggs in a nest.  I just could not ever get down into the flower pot enough to see all the eggs/birds.  I hated to disturb them and it was just an awkward spot because the top of the pot is fairly small and the nest was down in the pot a little ways.   Finally, I got this pic with a much better view... or maybe they just decided to pose for me.

Thursday, June 30, 2011
I was going to try to get another picture and found the NEST WAS EMPTY!!

Sure glad I looked in there yesterday and got the picture seeing more of them before they were gone.  I'm going to leave the nest for now, but I am glad that I can actually water my plant and not have to continue to use the aqua globes that seem to be a never ending task of filling them with water.  It was all worth it though to see the wren family survive.  I wish I could have seen them all actually leaving the nest... learning to fly out, one at a time!   :-)

Links to my Previous Wren Blogs:
Mama Wren
Baby Wrens are Here
Wren Family Update



1 comment:

  1. Bye-bye, birdies!
    Hope they come back to your feeders.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...